Books by Rose Rosie Russell Children's Books Author Illustrator

Author and illustrator, A.J.Cosmo is a talented writer with engaging stories. His illustrations will keep readers turning the pages for more.

1) How long have you been a KidLit author and illustrator?

My first children's book came out in the winter of 2011, so I've been doing this professionally for about five years now. I have always drawn and written in one form or another and have found children's books to be the perfect intersection of those talents. It also help to have the creative mind of an eight year old.

2) How many books do you have out?

As of this writing I have sixty-nine unique titles (there were some anthologies created.) This equals out to a little over ten titles per year. My pace has slowed down significantly as my focus has shifted to doing detail oriented illustrations and complex narratives.

3) I see you have stories for younger readers and stories for older ones. What grade level is the most challenging for you to write for and why?

I can't say that any of them are more challenging than the others, however, each one has a challenge in relation to the demands of that audience. What I have found is that reading level is fluid for children. Some children read beyond their level while others prefer easier titles. I've met six year old readers who are almost on young adult and I've read to a class of sixth graders that preferred picture books. The true difficulty in all this is communicating what grade level you intended to read the book when you made it. That's something I still haven't mastered.

4) You illustrate all of your books. Can you give us an example how you do this?

Sure, there are two main techniques I use to make the pictures. One is to do a completely digital process that uses a combination of Manga Studio Pro and Adobe Photoshop to create the images. There's a video of this process for "Nuts" you can watch here. The drawing is done with the help of a Wacom Intuous tablet which allows for natural pencil movements. The other method uses pencil sketches which are then scanned into Photoshop and colored. This is done mostly for speed, as the computer programs cannot do any of the work for you (there's also the added perk of being able to undo mistakes.) Coloring in Photoshop involves a lot of layering and "pushing" of color in order to get rid of the digital feel and make it look organic.

5) Last, but not least, what you want readers to walk away with after reading your stories.

My stories are intended to teach imagination and heart to children. They cover a wide set of topics, characters, and tones, but the main themes always involve understanding other people and including them. Beyond that, I just hope that the children are entertained and that they have shared a special moment with their parents.

Thank you for sharing your inspiring work!

To find A.J. Cosmo's books,  click on the links below:

A.J.'s Website: www.ajcosmo.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ajcosmokids/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJCosmokids

I also welcome any and all emails :) aj@ajcosmo.com

Comments

04/03/2017 3:35am

I had read many times about A.J. Cosmo and he is an amazing illustrator. This interview has allowed me to know good this bout him. I am glad that you had shared such things.

04/17/2017 4:23am

It is my first time to hear about A.J Cosmo. I only know some famous writers. Some of them are: John Green, David Levithan, Lang Leav and many more. I love searching about their lives. I do research about each one of them. I just want to know how they make such perfect novels.

04/17/2017 9:21am

Thanks for your kind words for author A.J.Cosmo.
He is a talented author and illustrator and inspires many.
I enjoy reading about how other authors do what they do. I'll look up the ones you mentioned. :)

Thanks again,
Rosie

04/03/2017 9:20am

Thanks for your comment.

Yes, A. J. Cosmo is a wonderful illustrator and writes entertaining stories for young readers.

Thanks again,
Rosie

This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.

05/12/2017 8:09am

Thank you for stopping by to read my interview with author and illustrator, A.J.Cosmo.

Rosie

05/08/2017 9:11pm

Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.

05/12/2017 8:10am

Thank you for your comment today.

Rosie

05/11/2017 11:23pm

I love reading books and I considered it as my hobby. Books are like friends. They are the most accessible and best tool in communication. It exposes us to a world of imagination. That is why I am glad that I read A.J.Cosmo's works. His books are all my favorites and I can't kept on reading them over and over again.

05/12/2017 8:11am

I'm glad you enjoyed this interview with author and illustrator, A.J. Cosmo.

Rosie

05/15/2017 3:29am

The approach of writer is virtually commendable. The manner he makes use of his innovative imaginative and prescient to transform into terms and permit us to suppose in a one of a kind way too. totally unforgettable revel in after studying this blog.

05/16/2017 7:35am

Hello, thank you for stopping by and reading our interview today.
We appreciate your kind words and glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks again,