Books by Rose Rosie Russell Children's Books Author Illustrator KidLit Blog By Rosie Russell

Hey everyone, it's me Sherman! Remember me?
I hope you all are dong well since I saw you last November. Where does the time go?

I was thinking the other day about picky eaters. Do you know anyone that refuses to eat certain foods or won't even try them? Well, I sure do! I wanted to share with you some fun ideas how to combat that issue with your little ones and maybe your big ones as well. After all, mealtime should be a pleasant time and enjoyed by all.

Let's start with a game called 'Food Bingo." Your kids may want to play this game, again and again.
Below is an example chart I made that contains fruits, vegetables, dairy products, meats, and meals. You can make a chart like this at home adding foods cut from magazines, or you can color in your own foods. Try and pick foods that you want your child to eat more of, or brand new foods they have never tasted. Once your child has eaten them, they put a "X" through the box. If they fill in a row, going diagonally, vertically, or horizontally, then they have a BINGO! Mom and dad, you if want, you can decide on a healthy snack or a fun small token for a winning prize. The choice is up to you.
Picture
Images: Pixabay.com
Here's another tip or game to play. Plan your meals together. For example, on Monday, your child might pick chicken for your meat, peas for your vegetable, pineapples for your fruit, and yogurt for your dairy product from the Bingo card you made.
Having your child help prepare the foods, will also give them an added interest in the meals.

Salads are an excellent way to add new vegetables to your child's diet. At the store, have them pick out what they would like to include. They'll be excited to get home and make their salad with you for lunch or dinner.

Let's talk portion size. Depending on your child's size and age, this will vary. Many times we put large amounts on their plates which can feel overwhelming to them. They're many charts online to look up for the size of servings to give them. They can always ask for another serving if they want more.

Have you ever served your child something and it's too hard for them to eat? Soup for example is a tricky one. Think soup mugs and added crackers or bread for dipping. They love that!

I'm so happy they came up with sandwich sliders. Perfect for little hands!

Picture
Image: Pixaby.com
Sometimes a child will refuse to eat something because of the texture of the food. Remember, they don't have the words to express this so that may be why they won't eat it. Find out what textures they enjoy the most and plan accordingly.

Below are a few recipes to try. "Asparagus Fries" and "Sweet Potato Fries."

"Asparagus Fries"
Picture
Image: Pixabay.com
Wash and blot until dry, one bunch of asparagus. Cut off the bottom three or so inches. (That part tends to be stalky and hard to chew.)  Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high or slightly above. Add asparagus, seasonings of your choice, and stir fried until they become bright green and crispy. Once cooked, place on a paper towel to drain. Serve with your favorite dressing or dip.

"Sweet Potato Fries"
Picture
Image: Pixabay.com
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees or 500 degrees for extra crispy fries.
Peel two large sweet potatoes and cut in slices. Then, cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch sticks. Place in a bowl, drizzle them with olive oil and add seasonings of your choice.
Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Place the sweet potatoes in the pan in a single layer.
Cook 10 minutes. Remove and flip fries over. Cook an additional 5 - 15 minutes depending on the crispness you desire.
Again, these are very tasty with your favorite dressing or dip.

I hope these suggestions will be helpful. Let me know in the comment section below if you have added tips for us to try. We would love to hear from you.

Oh, and I almost forgot! If you would like a copy of my story, "Sherman the Shopping Cart: A Search and Find," you may purchase it here for a signed copy,  Shop Here
If you would like to purchase online, go to the following links below.
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Rainy Day Books

Thanks for stopping by.
As always, Happy Reading!
Sherman and Rosie

Picture
Written and illustrated by Rosie Russell

Comments

02/02/2018 11:46am

A wonderful post and so important for children to learn to eat healthy foods at an early age as possible, even more so today with so many unhealthy fast and junk food options easily available now. Hopefully, it seems to be turning around a bit, with healthier foods getting more notice and becoming more widely available as fast and quick options. As with many things, it is so important to lay an early and solid foundation when it comes to health.

02/02/2018 12:48pm

Hi James! Thanks so much for stopping by today with your awesome comment.
I agree, the earlier the better. They are more apt to try news foods as they grow older.
The new foods I've seen introduced are amazing. It seems they are finding new fruits from other countries and they're making a big hit. For example, pomegranates. That's one I never remember having growing up. Many great healthy foods are on the rise.
Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.
Rosie

02/02/2018 3:36pm

What a wonderful way to get children eating. Great suggestions! I know my mom would have appreciated them when I was little...I was such a picky eater back then.

Thanks for sharing your healthy eating tips & recipes! As an adult, I love asparagus and sweet potatoes. Another great recipe...make sweet potato tacos! They are fabulous. My husband and I love them. :)

02/03/2018 11:51am

Hi Kristen, thank you for your comment today.

The sweet potato tacos sound amazing. When you have time, can you come back and share the recipe here? Thank you!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Rosie

02/03/2018 8:02am

I think the bingo idea is brilliant! Trying it out on my grandkids!

02/03/2018 11:53am

Hi Julie, let me know how it goes with your grandkids.

I always wanted dinner to be a pleasant time for our family. Adding some fun, makes everyone happy.

Thanks for your comment today.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Rosie

02/05/2018 9:30pm

Hi Rosie, Food Bingo is brilliant! Sure to be a hit in many homes.
When my boys were little I would hide the veg in "one pot wonders' like meat balls, some of the meat balls were actually brussell sprouts. With all the flavours in the sauce the kids gradually get used to the taste of the vegetables and you can slowly introduce the vegatables on their own. Add fruit like mangoes, grapes or strawberries to salads, mixed among the leafy greens they go down a treat.

02/06/2018 11:00am

What a great idea Sandra! I love the idea of adding vegetables and fruits to dishes.
Isn't it funny with kids that if we simply give it a different or creative name, they're more apt to try. "One Pot Wonders." Love it!

Thanks for stopping by with your comment Sandra.
Have fun with that baby!
Rosie

02/07/2018 7:18am

Love the idea of Food Bingo Rosie! My niece is SO picky but I think she would love this! May Nan's philosophy was "It's all in the presentation." I think this really applies here- I used to make food fun for my kids when they were little and they still (as young adults) as me to make them "mishmash plates' which is basically an assortment of healthy snacks served on a fancy plate. Great tips and ideas for healthy but fun eating!

02/10/2018 10:21am

Hi Tracy! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Presentation is very important and fun as well. I love when I see the creations out there for pancakes, sandwiches, etc. Kids love that!
Food should be enjoyable for them. Any tricks we as adults can do to make that happen for them is a win, win, situation.

Thanks again and I'm glad you enjoyed this post.
Rosie

02/07/2018 7:29am

What a wonderful way to get children eating. Great suggestions! Thankfully, Levi isn't picky he's quirky haha! He LOVES corn, only if it's on the cob. If it's off the co, bhe won't touch it. Loves garlic roasted potatoes, won't touch mashed potatoes.

Thanks for sharing your healthy eating tips & recipes! One thing I like to do is make veggie fritters for Levi to help get more veggies into his diet. I grate up carrots, zucchini, potatoes and mix them up with an egg (he won't eat eggs unless scrambled and added to brown rice) then baked in olive oil. He devours them.

02/10/2018 10:32am

Thanks Carmela for your wonderful recipe. I'm going to make those and see if my big kid will like them. Ha! Ha! (He's the picky eater around here.) :)
So funny about the corn on the cob. I know a little man that's the same way. Interesting about the mash potatoes. Maybe it reminds him of baby food and wants to eat big boy food. (He's so cute!)
So glad you stopped by.
Thanks again,
Rosie

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.